Re: Curl and unicode file:// URLs on windows

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 23:04:41 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 11 May 2010, jonas echterhoff wrote:

> I tend to avoid windows myself when I can, but I found other code on the
> web, which seems to handle it by converting UTF-8 to UTF-16, and then using
> the result with _wopen(). That is assuming that the file URL is defined to
> be in UTF8 format (which makes sense, imo, and is at least consistent with
> the mac, I don't know how other Unixes handle Unicode file names).
>
> It is a Microsoft run-time library function, so I'd assume that it should be
> available to all compilers on windows. According to
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/z0kc8e3z(VS.80).aspx , it has been
> added in Windows NT 4.0 / Windows 2000.

There's also a fopen_s() that might work.

If someone writes up a patch and makes sure it works with an old enough
windows and compiler version (I never learn where the boundaries are between
windows stuff and compiler stuff on windows) then I might be able to
apply/push it.

I will not even try to write it myself!