Re: Support of the Web Socket protocol - API

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 15:08:16 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 4 May 2010, Alexandre Morgaut wrote:

> Yes I was going to talk about that too.
>
> There is several Server implementations.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Sockets#Server_Implementations
>
> The question is which one or which ones could be used to test the curl
> client implementation

Traditionally, it has been best to get the smallest and simplest C
implementation and import that into the curl test suite and then hack away to
make it able to do the funny things we need a test server to do. It should be
as stupid as possible and mostly just feed pre-setup data so that it can be
used to test both good and bad behaviors.

A good test server is most often not the same thing as a good server in other
aspects.

Imported, so that everyone who gets curl can test everything, and C to provide
the best possible portability. Perl would be OK too as we already depend on
that for the test suite, but it would be unfortunate to introduce another
script language methinks.