Re: POSIX threaded DNS resolver - first experiences

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 22:21:24 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010, Kamil Dudka wrote:

> What about the attached patch?

It looks like it should work indeed. Perhaps an added comment explaining how
the maxfd < 0 case is treated (and why) would be suitable. I'm always a bit
concerned that people will base something on our test cases and use them as
examples, so I want them to be fairly well explained even if their main
purpose is "just" testing.

> Now it should compile fine on both systems and it seems like the fix is not
> needed on Windows because of the following quirk:

The test suite still isn't very functional on windows in general.

>> BTW, ares has better abort semantics than the threaded resolver.
>> curl_*_cleanup will hang in the threaded DNS resolver until the resolver
>> thread exits.
>
> Good point. I didn't test it so far.

Right, the resolver thread needs to have a way to allow the main thread tell
it to die asap.