Re: SMTP : Subject field

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 11:19:33 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010, Jamie Lokier wrote:

>> Those are also headers you are in charge of. In fact, all *headers* in the
>> mail are your responsibility. Only the stuff that SMTP requires for plain
>> SMTP commands are done by libcurl.
>
> It'd probably be quite useful for SMTP mail sending to set mail headers in a
> similar way to HTTP headers, with the mail body being the message itself.

Hm, yes that might not be such a bad idea. It's also fairly simple and
lightweight for us to support it that way. The question is perhaps then if
that should be the only way to provide headers, or if it should be an
additional way. I lean towards additional, as then it won't break existing
applications.

> There's quite a close relationship between SMTP mail and HTTP messages, and
> formatting mail headers correctly for SMTP does need a bit of technical
> know-how which is probably beyond many of the people who'd like to use it,
> so it makes sense.

Yes, but I also don't want to have libcurl get ALL the mumbo jumbo magic
necessary for building a full fledged email client. I'd like it to remain
focused on the actual transmission and leave as much as possible - that still
makes sense - for the app. The boundary between libcurl and the app must of
course somehow still feel logical and be understandable.