Re: VS2008 build issues

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 20:09:52 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 8 Apr 2010, Ruslan Gazizov wrote:

>> Strange. Why did you get this problem and how come others have managed to
>> build libcurl without this change? Is it related to what VS or Windows
>> version you run?
>>
> MSDN reference states that (get|free)addrinfo functions are implemented in
> Ws2_32.dll so I have no idea how the library could be built without
> ws2_32.lib (which is its import library). My system:
> Vista SP2
> VS 2008 (VC9)
> Windows SDK 6.0A

> wsock32.dll is present in system32 but it does not export these functions.

It seems it's just another case of a messy system.

getaddrinfo() is only present in some systems and compilers, so for those that
have getaddrinfo() I figure a different lib is needed than for those systems
that don't have getaddrinfo()...

So, I have no good suggestion on how to solve this other than perhaps use
cmake for the windows build.