How do I know the difference between connecting and downloading

From: Anthony Hernandez <anthony.hernandez_at_clownphobia.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 20:45:35 -0700

Hiya,

First time poster on a mailing list. I've read through them before, but
never participated in one. Question is how could I know the difference
between an actual download and an attempt to connect to a server. So
far, my progress call back just stays at 0%, my writedata function is
doing nothing, is that the best way to know? Is there another builtin
way that I'm not aware of? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Anthony H