Re: Hosting in various countries

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 12:40:20 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010, Yang Tse wrote:

> Does it allow something like having let's say three public repos A, B and C
> that are automatically sync'ed at short intervals, and that would allow
> developer X to push changes to repo A and allow developer Y to push changes
> to repo B, and have developer Z pull from repo C al changes pushed to A and
> B, which should already be equal ?

We can have all developers commit to their own repos, A, B and C all hosted at
separate places. Then we can have the master branch handled by someone like ME
that pulls changes from A, B and C at request. Of course, to allow someone to
pull from your repository you need to make sure your repo is visible online
and that's what the git hosting sites are there for (I mean, assuming you
don't have your own local machine online and publicize your repo directly from
that).

A, B and C can sync up with the ME branch at any time and thus A B and C all
get each other's changes once they've been deemed to go public.

> Or in what sense it is a distributed version control system? A link to a
> RTFM or specs would be fine.

It is distributed in every sense I'd say. We can have development going on
independently in as many different repos as we like (and A B and C can decide
to pull their changes amongst each other without caring about ME), but we of
course need to have a somewhat controlled way to get changes into the 'master'
branch which is the one we produce releases from. That's why I've suggested we
start out mimicing our very simple CVS way of working: with N people pushing
their changes into the same branch.

To get into git, I can recommend the book at http://book.git-scm.com/ and the
cheat sheet: http://ktown.kde.org/~zrusin/git/git-cheat-sheet-medium.png

I have to confess it took me a long time to grasp it (and I'm convinced I
still haven't figured out large portions of git), so I think getting the
basics first is what matters and then figuring out the fancy details as you
start to use the tool.