RE: MSVC 2008 lib size

From: Gary Maxwell <gmaxwell_at_casabi.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 16:34:57 +0000

ilia choly on Friday, March 19, 2010 8:47 AM:

> The binary version of curl is 280kb. But when I compile the
> source in MSVC 2008 with HTTP_ONLY and no SSL support it comes
> out to 1.69 mb. What's going on here?

The binary version undoubtedly lacks any debugging information (symbols,
source lines, etc.) and probably has compiler optimizations turned on.

I would guess you are building a debug version of curl on MSVC, so
you are ending up with all of the debug data. If you build the release
version, or manually turn off debug options and enable compiler
optimization, you will likely end up with a much smaller binary.

Cheers,
GaryM