Re: Blocking variant of curl_multi_perform

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 11:01:40 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010, Olaf van der Spek wrote:

>> Thank you, this revealed it quite clearly to me: I had a different
>> expectation of what the function would do.
>
> Did you expect it to block until all easy handles were finished?

Yes. Like providing a synchronous call for multiple transfers, return when all
transfers are done. I'm not sure that's a lot more useful though.

>> I find the use case for this function very narrow and not very useful in
>> general applications.
>
> Hmm, it seemed quite useful to me for simple apps that wish to extend
> from single to multiple requests.

Yes, sure and I'm convinced all users of the multi interface have their own
handy functions to deal with how they think they think libcurl is best used.

I rather provide the raw building blocks and let the apps do their own fancy
houses on top of the foundation.

Again, we're conservative in what we add to libcurl. This function does not
add neither functionality nor features, it is "just" a conveniance function -
one that I don't feel there's any particular demand for. I think feature creep
is something we have anyway - possibly a bit too much - so we need to put a
break on things that aren't strictly adding to the library.