Re: help needed for using curlib for clients with older OS

From: Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 20:40:55 +0100

2010/3/11, Barbara Straupe wrote:

> The final application has to support Windows95 clients and above.

In order to have winsock2 support, Win95 boxes requires installation
of W95ws2setup.exe MS hotfix. Available from

> In addition all code must be included in the final executable, no extra dll-files.

Winsock library code will _not_ be included in your final executable
no matter what you do. It will always be in a MS provided dll. A
common misconception for _many_ visual studio users, and managers, is
to believe that when a program is linked with the ws2_32.lib or
wsock32.lib library it is actually linked with a static winsock
library. These two libraries are only 'static import libraries' which
will route winsock function calls to the winsock dll.

The good part is that your program installer is not supposed to
distribute the winsock dll.

> My developing platform is an XP machine with Visual C++ 6 (to ensure
> compatibility with Windows95). I tried Visual Studio 2008 on a Windows
> 7 machine first, but those executables don't run on Windows95.

Fine.

> On this XP machine the current head revision doesn't compile, demanding
> for an installation of the February 2003 edition PSDK.

Download http://curl.haxx.se/download/curl-7.20.0.zip uncompress it
and read section 'MSVC 6 caveats' in curl-7.20.0\docs\INSTALL
additionally read section 'MSVC 6 IDE' from same file.

--
-=[Yang]=-