Re: 7.20.0: soname again :-(

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 19:09:48 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010, Domenico Andreoli wrote:

> Do you imagine libc bumping API version every time a new option is added to
> setsockopt()?

Now you're again talking about "bumping API version" in the same manner you
did originally before you appologized for not having undertood the topic. Or
are you now fully on track with what we're really talking about here?

Let me quote http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soname: "If the system only includes
version 1.3 of that shared object, libx.so.1.3, the soname field of the shared
object tells the system that it can be used to fill the dependency for a
binary which was originally compiled using version 1.2.". Didn't we just move
from 4.1.1 to 4.2.0? In what way isn't that following what that paragrahs
says?

4.1.1 and 4.2.0 are binary compatible in a forward-going way, but not
backwards. Is it not so?

My /usr/bin/curl binary for example (on Debian) says it uses "libcurl.so.4".
That 4 is the major soname number. Now, in what way isn't that 4 the same 4 in
7.19.7 as in 7.20.0 ?

Can you please define the rules to soname numbers that you think are ok? What
parts of the soname number do you think are legitimate to change when?