Re: 7.20.0: soname again :-(

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 14:03:35 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010, Domenico Andreoli wrote:

> I don't agree with you, ABI and API are well defined concepts.

I disagree. Please point me to that single unambiguous definition.

> I think your difficulty is how to apply API changes to the libtool
> versioning scheme which tries to not be OS bound.

While I may have problems with that, that's not my main problem in this
regard.

To get back to the details again (since I believe a meta discussion around
this topic isn't taking us further one bit). In what way would you say my
reasoning is flawed in regards to when an existing app using the options added
in 7.20.0 and they downgrade to libcurl 7.19.7.

If we can just link (even run-time) the app with the lib, do you consider the
ABI fulfilled? If not, what other requirements do we have to fulfill to claim
that we're maintaining (backwards) compatibility?

If an application that runs fine with 7.20.0 suddently just stops working in a
significant (and documented) way with 7.19.7, can we really claim that those
two libs are compatible?