Re: enhanced asynchronous DNS lookups

From: Jamie Lokier <jamie_at_shareable.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 20:00:23 +0000

Yang Tse wrote:
> Some additional toughts I would appreciate comments.
>
> Should we aim at one configure option to enable POSIX threads and
> another one to enable the threaded resolver?
>
> Or one option to enable POSIX threads which additionally enables
> threaded resolver?
>
> Or one option which enables threaded resolver and attempts to enable
> POSIX threads?

A while ago there was some discussion about whether libcurl should
make more general use of the platform's mutexes (thread-locking) and
init-onces - being configured at compile time, or be like OpenSSL
taking callbacks which say how to lock things so that it can work with
different thread libraries without recompilation, or carefully
avoiding need any of those.

If it could rely on thread primitives, then it would become safer to
call curl_global_init() from libraries, or even not call
curl_global_init() at all when default options are used.

Just wondering if that is relevant to the present discussion?

-- Jamie