Re: problem from out of the blue: can't connect via libcurl

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 13:04:56 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009, Pete Wilson wrote:

> ldd says that curl and my tool load the same libs, except that my tool loads
> four extra libs. Here's a table that compares the output of ldd for both
> curl and my tool:
>
> http://sellmycalls.com/lib-comp.html
>
> Could you take a quick look at that? I'd appreciate it.

Right, the difference is completely irrelevant here.

>>>   * Unsupported protocol: https
>>> Same thing happens with http.
>>
>> That means your application uses a libcurl that was built
>> without support for HTTPS.
>
> calls/cgi/client>curl-config --feature | grep SSL
> SSL

Now that is highly confusing and strange. Is it possible that you have more
than one libcurl installed and that you get different libs at times depending
on something unknown?

The "Unsupported protocol: XXXX" is returned by libcurl when the particular
XXXX support isn't built-in. There's no room for mistakes in that department!

>> My advice: build your own libcurl and put it in your own homedir on the ISP
>> site and use that lib instead.
>
> Excellent advice! I'd like nothing better, except that it's a daunting,
> frustrating, week-long task for this RPM un-savant. I first have to find out
> what RPM /is/ -- yes, it's that bad.

Ignore RPM. Get the source tarball, unpack it, run configure and tell it to
install it locally in your home dir (by using configure's --prefix option),
then build it ("make") and install it ("make install") and rebuild your app to
use the local install!