Re: IP address support for no proxy feature

From: <johansen_at_sun.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 18:09:09 -0800

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 10:12:13PM +0000, Salisbury, Mark wrote:
> With this change, it is possible to specify a no proxy list like
> "192.168.*", which would prevent the proxy from being used to access
> any host that begins with "192.168.", for instance http://192.168.0.1/
> would not go through the proxy server with this change.

I think you should use a different syntax for specifying IP addresses
that are going to be included with the NOPROXY option.

A few concerns:

1. RFC 952 allows hostnames with numbers, it's just that the hostname
can't start with a number. What happens if the user sets something like
this, "A-1.*" ?

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc952

2. What's your approach for dealing with IPv6 addresses?

3. How do you cope with subnets? 192.168.0.0/25 and 192.168.0.0/23 both
generate a range of addresses that can't be expressed in a single entry.

I would suggest you switch to CIDR notation. Perhaps someone else on
the list can provide more detailed comments about IPv6.

-j