Re: Win32 - MSVC 7.15.1 devel SSL enabled Chris Drake

From: Guenter <lists_at_gknw.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 19:21:33 +0200

Hi,
Peter Klose schrieb:
> Hi Günter,
> i followed your advice and downloaded the latest stable source-release and tried to compile it.
> i have adjusted the settings as declared in your updated INSTALL, meaning disabled LDAP an IPv6, included the typedef in winsock2.h and here are the errormessages:
> curl_addrinfo.c
> warning C4013 getaddrinfo undefined
>
> curl_addrinfo.c
> error C2065 EAI_MEMORY undeclared identifier
>
> I have searched the complete VCPP6 installation there is no EAI_MEMORY declaration anywhere. I have installed Service Pack5, so this cant be the problem. The new servicepack you mentioned in INSTALL unfortunately isnt an option for me as i would have to install a new harddisk with complete reinstallation of everything.
> Hope you can help with that.
hmmm, you can try to edit lib\config-win32.h, and disable it there;
around line 440ff I think the define happens:
/* Availability of freeaddrinfo, getaddrinfo and getnameinfo functions is
   quite convoluted, compiler dependant and in some cases even build target
   dependant. */
#if defined(HAVE_WS2TCPIP_H)
# if defined(_WIN32_WINNT) && (_WIN32_WINNT >= 0x0501)
# define HAVE_FREEADDRINFO 1
# define HAVE_GETADDRINFO 1
# define HAVE_GETNAMEINFO 1
# elif defined(_MSC_VER) && (_MSC_VER >= 1200)
# define HAVE_FREEADDRINFO 1
# define HAVE_GETADDRINFO 1
# define HAVE_GETNAMEINFO 1
# endif
#endif
unless you define self _WIN32_WINNT >= 0x0501 then by default you should
have _WIN32_WINNT == 0x0500, means the second block should be where its
defined for you; though I'm not sure, but I think MSVC6 sets _MSC_VER ==
1200, right? Anyway, just try to comment out that line (dont set to 0!)
and see if you then can compile. If that works then please help us fix
the thingy = write a small hack which gives you the _MSC_VER number so
that we a are sure that we set it correct:
int main() {
  printf("_MSC_VER = %d\n", _MSC_VER);
}
should already do.

On the other side it is certainly not needed to install a complete new
harddisk only for adding the Platform SDK; it takes about 300MB IIRC,
and you can drop it in with just caling a batch - if you dont call the
batch then you continue to work with the shipping headers.
Also, IIRC the MSVC6 SP5 is broken somehow; I got strange effects with
it in the past; better either take SP4, or SP6. You can see that with a
couple of other OpenSource projects too; I should probably document that
too; but for the moment lets hope that it doesnt affect the libcurl build.

Gün.