Re: viewvc installation Was: hi NSS friends ...

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 19:48:19 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009, Yang Tse wrote:

> viewVC renders some things on screen differently than old viewCVS. Some
> might argue that these are not important, but I find that some of them make
> the difference between a useful tool and a counterproductive toy-looking
> tool.

Yeah, but I've only installed it with pretty much the default config so far so
I'm sure I can tweak it to become better.

> Given the fact that nowadays the maintained tool is viewVC it seems
> reasonable to use it for the new installation, in hope that it can be
> tailored to achieve increased productivity.

I actually tried to just copy the previous installation, but it failed with
funny python exceptions and I found little joy in persuing those so I was glad
to see that a fresh viewvc install "just worked".

> One thing that has changed is that there seems to be no way of
> browsing the curl-www repository part.

I think that's just my fault due to the config.

> The huge viewvc logo in the upper right portion of the pages could be
> removed or simply replaced with a curl specific one.

Yes, I want the output and entire feeling to be more integrated with the rest
of the site so I intend to work on improving those areas.

> I miss syntax highlighting when selecting "view" link for a file.

I think that's another config issue. I just don't know exactly why me telling
it to do syntax color doesn't "take".

> I don't like displaying line numbers when selecting "view", line numbers are
> already available and visible for "annotate".

I don't think I can switch that off...

> And last for now but probably the most important one. Overall font selection
> and font sizes are not appropriate in many views giving it the toy-looking
> feel I've mentioned previously and in some cases making a specific view
> nearly worthless, specifically the "diff" view which here on IE6 renders
> with a huge non-fixed-width font.

I'm sure I can make it more decent-looking with a custom css.

> I hope all the above doesn't harsh at all. It isn't my intention.

I appreciate the feedback. I've moved a large range of services the last
couple of weeks while having a full-time job and preparing stuff for my new
company life, so things aren't completely done yet. A few other services, like
for example the commit mails, are still not working...