Re: TODO - 11.5 ftp wildcard download

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 16:34:40 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009, Kamil Dudka wrote:

>> 11.5 ftp wildcard download
>>
>> "curl ftp://site.com/*.txt"
>
> is anybody working on and/or interested in this to be implemented? How much
> does it hurry actually? I am about to pull in some students to development
> of libcurl and this topic looks good to me for that purpose...

Wow, getting people into libcurl hacking sounds exciting and is a very good
idea!

This particular issue is small and simple to explain, but I'm not sure it is
that easy to implement in a proper way.

libcurl has no existing notion of "ask once, get many" like this command
implies. For such a command to be done the most effective way, we need to
introduce some kind of additional mechanism that lets the lib tell the app
about what files this will transfer and what the (remote) file names of them
are etc. And this is assuming you can get the wildcard matching done
server-side. To be honest, I'm not even sure how typical ftp clients do these
things.

Personally, I'd much rather see the KNOWN_BUGS list shrinking, but I also
realize those tasks generally require much more skill and familiarity with the
code and project.