Re: Threaded resolver spins bug + patch

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 17:10:35 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009, Constantine Sapuntzakis wrote:

> The threaded resolver may be a better fit for Intranets (at least on
> Windows).

I'm not so sure. If you fire up 10,000 connects on a windows app using
libcurl's multi interface you'll get (next to) 10,000 threads and I don't
think that's very nice. Using c-ares would be a lot less resource intensive.

> In the Intranet, you have:

[...]

> I'm guessing that implementing and maintaining these features is probably
> more effort than implementing ares in the first place. In addition,
> customers expect that if Microsoft or Apple releases an improvement to the
> name resolution library, that applications transparently pick it up.

Isn't it already possible to do those things asynchronously in Windows? I
mean, couldn't c-ares in this case simply work as a wrapper around some
existing functions in Windows to offer this functionality?

But don't worry. As long as there is people willing to help out and maintain
the threaded resolver we will keep it. And as long c-ares isn't capable of
transparently replace the system resolver it really isn't as good as I'd like
it to be...