Re: GZIP encoding error - invalid code lengths set

From: Richard Atterer <richard_at_2009.atterer.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 14:33:53 +0200

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 01:45:51PM +0200, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> Ouch. This is a seriously broken server. Have you tried to simply
> contact the admins of it to ask if they can fix it instead of trying
> to shoe-horn in a weirdo work-around in libcurl?

The site from the log, www.vmware.com, is running Apache 1.3.39, a really
old version... I've tried to find a bug entry for this problem on
issues.apache.org, but without success.

Dobromir, what sites are you seeing this with, and what versions of Apache?

This *is* seriously broken behaviour, but IMHO if a significant number of
servers on the net show it, one can only admit defeat and implement a
workaround. :-| (Unfortunately, Netcraft does not seem to provide numbers
on the popularity of individual Apache versions. :-/) Anyway, how kludgy
would such a hypothetical workaround be in this case?

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  GnuPG key: 888354F7
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  08A9 7B7D 3D13 3EF2 3D25  D157 79E6 F6DC 8883 54F7
  ¯ '` ¯