Re: OS400 ftp server related problem

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 21:29:47 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 7 Aug 2009, Patrick Monnerat wrote:

> My question is: does anybody think about a realistic better way to
> workaround this, or better: to fix libcurl to avoid the problem, whether the
> remote server is an OS400 or not ? As hints, names in format 0 never starts
> with a '/', and you cannot expect IBM to change something in the server !!!

I'll admit I haven't spent very much thinking about the problem, but as
libcurl would need to send something and as it would need to do it without
knowing if the server is OS400 or not, I figure a sensible thing to send would
be SYST.

SYST is an RFC959 command and is documented to return the server's operating
system. Then if OS400 is mentioned there, and only then, libcurl could do the
necesary magic to set the correct mode.

The downside with this approach is that libcurl would send an extra command
for each new control connection and perhaps most importantly: I found
references on the web that claim: "Often times FTP servers block this
information or allow the administrator specify what the response should be."
which thus would render the results useless and we'd be back on square one
again...