Re: File type to download

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 09:37:05 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009, jvp wrote:

> Industrial ISA bus CPU running at 300mHz does 24 sec's for 1.1Mb file with
> an average speed of 50432. This includes writing the file to a Compact Flash
> Card. I expect better performance on my standard cpu boards that are 533Mhz.
> In any case I am happy with it. When libcurl.a tested from within a
> FreeBasic compiled program the time was 25 sec's, so same performance.

I find that a very low number, but I'd be surprised if you'll find that
libcurl is the bottle neck in this setup. I would primarily put my money on
the network card/drivers, the TCP/IP stack, the flash writing or the flash
file system being what slows this down.

I currently work on a 100MHz Nios2 CPU that reaches those speeds with a whole
busload of hw-related design mistakes with a weirdo epson chip doing the
entire tcp/ip stack... (only storing received data in ram).

> It appears also that each time I re-compile the library, it re-compiles the
> curl.exe.

That's probably because you run make in the source root which builds both the
lib and the tool. Run make only in lib instead to only build the lib.