Re: installing rpm for Java

From: Michael Wood <esiotrot_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 08:27:39 +0200

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 6:36 PM, Thufir <hawat.thufir_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 14:32:33 +0200, Michael Wood wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 10:10 AM, Thufir <hawat.thufir_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Ok, after no small amount of effort I seem to have built and installed
>>> an rpm (with some help):
>> [...]
>>> can I get a JAR from this, or how do I import it?
>>
>> Try running:
>> rpm -ql curl-java
>>
>> to see what files the package installs.  It might install a jar file (or
>> more than one) or a bunch of class files.  From that you should be able
>> to figure out what to set your CLASSPATH to in order to use them.
>
> [thufir_at_arrakis ~]$
> [thufir_at_arrakis ~]$ rpm -ql curl-java
> /usr/lib/libcurljava.so
> /usr/lib/libcurljava.so.0
> /usr/lib/libcurljava.so.0.0.0
> /usr/share/doc/curl-java-0.2.3
> /usr/share/doc/curl-java-0.2.3/COPYING
> /usr/share/doc/curl-java-0.2.3/ChangeLog
> /usr/share/doc/curl-java-0.2.3/README
> /usr/share/java/curljava.jar
> [thufir_at_arrakis ~]$
>
> Perfect!
>
> Kinda a roundabout way of getting a Jar, but there you are.  Would anyone
> like to upload this Jar should anyone else stumble by asking for a Jar?

The jar is not sufficient. You also need the libcurljava.so* files
(well probably just libcurljava.so.0.0.0, since the other two are
probably symlinks to it.)

> You don't really need the RPM (or whatever) for Java devel.

No, of course you don't *need* the rpm. You never actually need an
rpm for anything. It is just meant to make things easier to
install/uninstall.

Also, this is not a roundabout way to get a jar. It's necessary to do
things this way if you want an easily installable/uninstallable
package (for an RPM-based distribution). The jar would have been
produced as part of building the rpm, but if you look in the spec file
you should be able to tell how to do this without building the rpm, if
that's what you want.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot_at_gmail.com>