Re: libssh2 >= 1.0 now mandatory?

From: Guenter <lists_at_gknw.net>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 21:36:24 +0200

Hi,
Daniel Stenberg schrieb:
> On Tue, 19 May 2009, Guenter wrote:
>
> I know, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that if anyone feels like
> taking CVS snaphots and running with them they're a bit on their own...
> We can't develop these things and maintain full compatiblity every
> single commit in the repo.
examined a bit more, and the culprit is in ssh.h:

#if defined(LIBSSH2_VERSION_NUM) && (LIBSSH2_VERSION_NUM >= 0x001300)
/* libssh2 0.19 was the planned release version for a while before it was
   decided to instead become 1.0. Thus >= 0x001300 should still work fine
   for snapshots done during the 0.19 days as well as things released once
   it was bumped to 1.0 */
# define HAVE_LIBSSH2_SESSION_BLOCK_DIRECTIONS 1
#else
# undef HAVE_LIBSSH2_SESSION_BLOCK_DIRECTIONS
#endif

and my libssh2.h has:
#define LIBSSH2_VERSION "0.19.0-20080814"
#define LIBSSH2_VERSION_NUM 0x001300
and no HAVE_LIBSSH2_SESSION_BLOCK_DIRECTIONS defined ...

further checking shows that the bump to 0.19.0 happened _after_ 20080814!!
http://libssh2.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/libssh2/libssh2/include/libssh2.h?r1=1.85&r2=1.86

So I've no idea what SuSE has build here, and anyway totallly confusing
what they all offer here:
http://software.opensuse.org/search?baseproject=openSUSE%3A11.1&p=1&q=libssh2

unfortunately I would need someone leaning me a helping hand with
building self a distro RPM from libssh-1.1 sources so I could just
update - since I'm not familar with that package management stuff and
system layouts; if I just build and install I fear I have the old and
the new one both installed.... -- argh!

regardless of that I looked further, and here's your commit which
introduces LIBSSH2_SESSION_BLOCK_INBOUND / LIBSSH2_SESSION_BLOCK_OUTBOUND:
http://libssh2.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/libssh2/libssh2/include/libssh2.h?r1=1.88&r2=1.89
and most important with same commit you also define
HAVE_LIBSSH2_SESSION_BLOCK_DIRECTION !
So why dont we just drop the above metioned block in ssh.h, and change
the checks from HAVE_LIBSSH2_SESSION_BLOCK_DIRECTIONS to
HAVE_LIBSSH2_SESSION_BLOCK_DIRECTION ??

Or am I missing something here?

Gün.