Re: Perl multicurl

From: Balint Szilakszi <szbalint_at_cpan.org>
Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 15:22:40 +0200

Kenny Billiau wrote:
> The strangest thing happened. The code works now!
> The only thing I did, was asking IT to install WWW::Curl::Simple, so I assume this also upgraded WWW::Curl to 4.06. So I tried to confirm this by installing everything from scratch on another server. Identic configuration, but no WWW::Curl installed.
>
> After installing WWW::Curl::Easy through CPAN I noticed it uses WWW::Curl 4.05 and not 4.06.
> Then I installed WWW::Curl::Multi but this did not upgrade WWW::Curl to 4.06!
> These are the last lines of the output of the CPAN installation:

Ah yes, now I understand what happened myself:

You see, I've removed the package names WWW::Curl::Easy and WWW::Curl::Share from indexing, because they are generated
dynamically at build time based on the constants that you have available (depending on libcurl version).

I guess I didn't factor in the possibility that CPAN would serve up the older versions of WWW::Curl that make those
packages available.

Hmpf. I think I'll have to add those packages back in some stub form in an upcoming release because I do see this
becoming confusing, I'd guess most people never declare "use WWW::Curl", but use WWW::Curl::Easy and so on.

WWW::Curl::Simple has the correct dependencies, so it explains how your packages got upgraded.

Installing WWW::Curl installs WWW::Curl::Easy, WWW::Curl::Share and WWW::Curl::Multi aswell.

Regards,
Bálint Szilakszi