Re: libcurl openssl thread crash - Windows XP

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 08:51:07 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 7 May 2009, Matt Veenstra wrote:

> I am using libcurl 7.19.4 and openssl 0.9.8k. The crash still happens.

:-(

> Does libcurl have any simple global lock/mutex we can wrap around these
> calls as a fix? They do not take very long and in a perfect world would
> only be called once per thread.

No, there's no such lock/mutex in libcurl. We only use thread-safe functions
in libcurl so we have no need for such calls. The SSL/crypto functions are the
only exceptions and they have their own mutexes.

> My fix today is to NOT seed OpenSSL. I do this by modifying libcurl. I of
> course could write my own very simple lock as well.

Indeed you can. And I must agree with you that the fact that removing only
these functions calls seem to indicate that this may in fact be a thread-safe
related problem in OpenSSL. The weird part would possibly be why this hasn't
bitten other people already.

> I will also start a conversation with the openssl list.

When you do, please post a us a link to the dev list archive so that us
non-subscribers can see what happens!