Re: bad request with SSL; libcurl 7.19.4 SSL enabled / Win32

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 12:33:46 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009, Thomas Reinhardt wrote:

> If we use SSL, the CURLOPT_PROXY Option isn't set, because in this case a
> nameserver is used to route requests to the App-Server to the IP from the
> PWGi. The PWGi then forwards the request to the real App-Server adress.

Using this setup, it seems you assume things that libcurl won't provide.

When libcurl does HTTPS it _either_ A) uses a proxy, or it B) uses a
direct-to-server connection. For the case (A) it sends CONNECT first to the
proxy and then the POST to the server. For the case (B) it just sends the
POST.

In both these cases, the POST line you showed is perfectly valid HTTP.

> I have tracked down that the POST URL is wrong.
>
>> POST /servlets/tstOnline HTTP/1.1

It isn't wrong the way libcurl works.

> This POST URL isn't RFC conform.

It is if the end-point is a server, and that's what you've told libcurl!

> should be: POST https://tst-online.tst.de/servlets/tstOnline HTTP/1.1

I've yet to experience a proxy that expects and works with this, but if you
want libcurl to support this mode of operations we need to introduce a new
mode of some kind. Like HTTP-to-the-proxy-but-HTTPS-from-it-to-the-peer.