Re: Potential ABI break for libcurl Sun Compiler users

From: Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 08:01:50 +0200

2009/4/3, Stefan Teleman wrote:

> So how often do you guys break ABI ? Inquiring minds want to know.
>
> It sounds like you don't care at all that 7.19.x breaks ABI with
> earlier releases.

Cool down.

The ABI breakage takes place only in some very specific cases for some
platforms. Depending on how each packager was previously building the
library there would be an ABI breakage or not.

In this particular case consider that another option would have been
to replace all curl_off_t literals inside and outside the library with
int64_t. Would this have made people more happy? I guess not, as it
would have forced everyone using libcurl to also replace the
curl_off_t strings in their apps and surely rebuild.

> Your patch is still fundamentally wrong,

Describe why.

> but I'm not going to waste any more time on this.

We know how curl_off_t is used inside of libcurl. We know the problems
that represented having it defined as it was in the pre-7.19.0 days,
mostly unexplainable bugs or coredumps when the library user compiled
an app with different settings than those used to build the library.

Whoever builds and distributes the library forces some settings on his
users. With the 7.19.0 change we help the precompiled libcurl user to
avoid pitfalls otherwise very difficult to track down.

--
-=[Yang]=-