Re: Potential ABI break for libcurl Sun Compiler users

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 22:38:14 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009, Stefan Teleman wrote:

> curl_off_t should continue being gated to the off_t type, which is
> guaranteed to have the correct size for all possible compilation
> environments

Well, yes and no.

We got serious usage problems when libcurl was built to use one size and then
apps that used libcurl was built to use other size, both using off_t. This
because off_t depends on compile-time defines on many platforms.

The approach we have today is an effort to make a type that the application
easier can use and then know that it'll be the same as the library uses.

So, simply using (going back to) off_t typedef'ed is not a solution.