Re: new makefile for Visual C++

From: Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 20:51:31 +0100

2009/2/24, Piotr Dobrogost wrote:

> Here comes my question;
> Does someone know how to iterate over strings contained in a variable?
> Because I couldn't find info how to do this I used separate variables like
> OPENSSL_LIBS_1 = libeay32
> OPENSSL_LIBS_2 = ssleay32
> instead of
> OPENSSL_LIBS = libeay32 ssleay32
>
> It's ugly as hell and I'd like to make it right as soon as I know how to
> do this.

MS's nmake string handling capabilities are nonexistent. You can
'concatenate' variable contents, but breaking them down and iterating
over its 'words' is another world.

If you _really_ wish to experiment, you could try to process the
variable in a command block of some fake target. But each command is
executed in its own subshell, so you would loose variables set in it.

Divide and conquer does not apply here. It is easier to sum up.

> > First step.
> >
> > A file named Makefile.msvc.head has been committed to a temporary area
> How do we proceed with it? Do you want us to send diffs to this group?

Not yet. These days my time is quite limited. So this will progress on
the slow lane. Be patient, keep around, keep an eye on that file, and
we all will discuss things on this list.

> Is guessing vc version from the nmake version a good idea?

Sure. Why not?

> Shouldn't we rather run compiler to find out what the version really is?

From inside a MS nmake makefile, being capable of setting a variable inside it?
I'm open to new ideas and improvements, of course!

--
-=[Yang]=-