Re: new makefile for Visual C++

From: Piotr Dobrogost <pd_at_curlpp.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 23:03:14 +0100

Pierre Joye wrote:

> I'm not sure what makes you say "it sucks". See:
>
> http://wiki.php.net/internals/windows/libs/openssl

When you have to write article how to use makefile it means makefile
sucks :) Call it my definition of bad makefile :)

> It works pretty well as far as I can say. It is not as easy as a
> simple nmake's makefile but it covers what they need and what most of

Building any library is the first impression one gets when using it.
It's a pity such a popular project's makefile hardly "covers what they
need"... It should rather encourage its use not merely enable it. How
much work is to write good makefile compared to all these code? Next to
nothing.

Nevertheless let's discontinue this topic. I already stated what I think
and complaining on some open source code without doing anything leads to
nowhere.

> It is not like we build openssl every 2nd day anyway :)

Personally I build it everyday in the morning :)
Seriously it's not my line of thinking. You don't build any given lib
every 2nd day, I agree. It's much worse - _someone_ builds _some_ lib
any x _seconds_. It's the only way of thinking for me. Make it good or
not at all :) As Colonel from C&C used to say "Trained for perfection."
:))) The problem of this World is the same as in the game - there can be
at most one Colonel in the whole army in C&C ;)

Regards
Piotr Dobrogost