Re: trouble with libcurl on Windows

From: Pierre Joye <pierre.php_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 22:03:44 +0100

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 5:40 PM, Andrei Jakab <andrei.jakab_at_tut.fi> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009, Pierre Joye wrote:
>
>> That's exactly what I suggested to Daniel earlier today.
>>
>> I created a makefile for ssl, ldap (openldap or winldap), libssh,
>> zlib, idn, etc. to use with our builds for PHP Windows. Once I'm happy
>> enough with it, I will post it here.
>
> I see that most people on this mailing list are very fond of makefiles :)
> However, in my opinion, they are the reason why you're having so many issues
> with Visual Studio developers. We're just so used to opening and compiling
> projects from the IDE that a good majority of us don't take the time to
> learn how to use makefiles. If you want to increase the number of windows/VS
> developers using curl and maybe even get some of them to help out with the
> project, you want to make it as easy as possible for them to get started
> with the code.

It is easy to create a SLN, it is not easy to maintain it for all VC
versions (VC6, 2008 and 2010 next year). Makefile has one advantage,
they work with all compilers, they are easy to maintain and to use
(what is hard in: nmake /f Makefile.vc release-zlib-ssl?)

What is missing:

- fully working makefile (for all curl options and features)
- good documentation

It is not like a developer has to use the makefile for its own project
but only to build curl. Is it not an acceptable choice?

Cheers,

--
Pierre
http://blog.thepimp.net | http://www.libgd.org