Re: curl_easy_setopt for SSL proxy

From: A. Craig West <acraigwest_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 07:15:37 -0500

2009/1/26 Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>:
> I thought about this some more and it struck me that this solution of
> providing multiple proxies would still not be sufficient to cover all
> imaginable scenarios.
>
> First out, NO_PROXY could probably be different on different proxies. Then,
> we have the chances of the proxies being different kinds! We want HTTP over
> a HTTP proxy, but FTP we want over a socks4 while SCP always goes over
> socks5-hostname... Then we even have different auth methods for the cases
> where two protocols go over HTTP proxies but one of them is to use NTLM
> while another is fine only with Digest...
>
> And then we go back to the *actual* use-case I've seen in real-life many
> times that certainly won't be covered either: PAC setups that send the
> broswer to different proxies depending on the specific host name used in the
> URL...
>
> I'm not sure if anything of this is worth bothering about, I just thought I
> should mention this when we start to even consider a wider support for
> "multiple" proxies.

The best way to configure something like this would probably be some
type of configuration file. It then occurred to me that there are
already implementations of PAC file parsers out there, and that would
do the trick quite nicely. I am now thinking that if I can find one
with a suitable license, it would be worth including in libcurl...
-Craig