Re: error (6) : name lookup timed out

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 13:18:04 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008, sundararaj reel wrote:

> libcurl 7.16.4 on Ubuntu 2.6.22-14-generic

>> What name resolver does it use?
>
> If it is the contents of /etc/resolv.conf you ask, then:

No, I was curious if you had a libcurl built to use c-ares and/or if you have
it built to support IPv6. A "curl -V" output would show. Since you use the
stock ubuntu version I'm pretty sure it isn't c-ares enabled.

> I donot know how to use strace. But here is a snippet that I get when
> running strace ./a.out if this helps.

I didn't see any failed system call for a resolve there.

As you're (most likely) not using c-ares, libcurl is using the "plain" name
resolver calls gethostbyname() or getaddrinfo() and if they fail I don't see
how it can be libcurl's fault... :-O