Re: Need --enable-libcares

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 22:23:45 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008, Carlo Wood wrote:

> We need libcurl to use libcares (which was added to debian due to our
> efforts).

Not that this is strictly a subject for us, but as far as I know it was added
to the debian package and then quickly reverted again due to problems that
were being reported. Currently the libcurl packages on debian are not c-ares
powered.

While we want to have libcurl's c-ares support good enough to be used by
default by Debian (and other distros), it obviously hasn't been deemed so yet.

I'm sure the Debian people can elaborate on this. Unfortunately we have not
gotten any bug reports passed back to us about the issues so I'm not sure
exactly what the problems were.

> Is it possible that on short term you make a release of libcurl that uses
> this configuration option by default?

Why would it matter if we enable it by default or not? You can easily just
switch it on if you care about it!

> It seems to me that libcares IS ready now. Realize that literally ten
> thousands of people are using it already daily (millions in total, albeit
> mostly on windows) on the SecondLife grid.

I would expect most windows users to use the threaded name resolver libcurl
provides (only) on windows.

And again, I don't see how we prevent anyone to use libcurl with c-ares
enabled. Just enable it and enjoy!