Re: Identification of ftp directory tree

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 15:18:43 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008, Timothy Roughton wrote:

> Thanks, don't suppose LIST -aL will be of any use

First "-aL" is highly system-specific and will only work on some servers.

Then, LIST is highly system-specific in the sense that its output format is
not standardized anywhere so two different servers can output the directory
list in any way it thinks look good.

> my local proftpd server doesn't support those commands, but the remote test
> server I'm using does, trouble I don't want to hammer that with prototype
> ftp code because I don't own it.

FTP really is messy protocol...

(related: http://daniel.haxx.se/docs/ftp-vs-http.html is my take at comparing
FTP with HTTP)