Re: SSL and basic authentication.

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 23:05:38 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008, Josef Wolf wrote:

> But before I start asking questions about how git uses curl, I want to get
> some basic understanding, so I did some tests.

I think you should save questions about git's use of (lib)curl for the git
list. AFAIK, git uses only libcurl these days and that's the reason for
example ~/.curlrc doesn't matter since that's a curl feature, not a libcurl
one.

> Next problem is that curl don't ask credentials on a 401 error. Is this
> really the right thing to do? I always thought that on 401, the user-agent
> should present the realm, ask the user for credentials, and finally retry
> the request with the supplied credentials. At least, this is how I
> understand

We could discuss if curl the tool should do that (but that should be taken to
the curl-users list), but libcurl the library won't and can't.