Re: libcurl issue with IPv6 and c-ares

From: Phil Blundell <pb_at_reciva.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 08:39:32 +0100

On Sat, 2008-10-11 at 20:22 -0400, Daniel Johnson wrote:
> This is true, however I'm sure that such sites are extremely rare and
> would be unreachable in any case from an IPv4-only connection. There
> are vastly more people with IPv4-only connections than there are IPv6-
> only sites, so the current situation is much more harmful than
> changing the default.

That's true up to a point, but if you don't have an IPv6 network then
you wouldn't lose a great deal by compiling libcurl as IPv4-only in the
first place, which would of course prevent the original problem from
occurring. (You would, admittedly, lose the ability to connect to
link-local v6 addresses, which would otherwise work, but that probably
isn't too much of a loss for most v4-oriented folks.)

> I had thought about this and agree that it would solve the problem,
> but wasn't sure if it was the best solution. I'll look at the code and
> see if I can come up with something.

OK, excellent.

p.