Re: fatter without benefits (was Re: [Patch] Disable multi API support)

From: Mohun Biswas <m_biswas_at_mailinator.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 14:42:59 -0400

Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> You whining about your spent time (that seems to have been paid by a
> company) is also mostly amusing since I've spent 10 years (of spare
> time) on this project.

I'm not involved in this disagreement but I do want to say that I think
it's unfair for you to accuse Daniel Egger of "whining". You (arguably)
called him selfish; he was defending himself against that by pointing
out that he's contributed a lot of time. I don't call that whining.

ISTM that "selfish" contributors are the ones who just agitate for
someone else to do the work, or who drop off a sloppy patch and nothing
else. The good ones follow coding conventions and provide parallel
patches for documentation and test suite. Mr Egger was just pointing out
that he's been in the latter category and from my memory that's true.

Ironically, if you only took contributions from unselfish people libcurl
would be a very slim library indeed. Most people contribute a feature
because they have a use for that feature. In fact, isn't that the
driving principle of open-source software?

I think if you take a deep breath and re-read the thread you'll see that
calumny, on either side, is unnecessary.

MB