gcc warnings in non-debug builds

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 11:01:19 -0700

A patch just went in to enable compiler warnings on all builds, not just
when --enable-debug is selected. I don't think this is a good idea as it
adds a whole bunch of compiler flags based on some educated guesses about
what is acceptable, and those guess aren't necessarily always correct.
There are at least two platforms I compile curl on where --enable-debug
causes problems so I'm forced to not include it, including one which is
directly related to addition of the compiler warning flags. This change
is going to make it impossible to compile curl on at least one of those
platforms.

Who would want to see warnings in a production build, anyway? End users
aren't in a position to do anything about them (they just clutter the
build logs), and developers are usually going to be building with
--enable-debug, anyway. If someone really, really wants the warnings
in a non-debug build, he can just add them himself to CPPFLAGS. I don't
see how the benefits of this (are there any?) outweigh the down side.

>>> Dan