libcurl : Issue with Threads and slower response time

From: Sandeep Kale <sandeep.skale_at_patni.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 18:09:46 +0530

Hi,

I am using libcurl (7.18.2) since a month and have developed a module which
connects to different web servers depending on specified url. This module
posts all kind of requests ( SOAP / HTTPS ) to the specified url at runtime
and works as expected.

Thread Issue:

I have read that libcurl is thread safe ( unless we do not share curl
handles). I have ensured that the curl handles are not shared between
threads, however the module does not work as expected when tested above 5
concurrent threads. I get "SSL connect error" frequently.

What might be causing this ? how can I avoid it?

Response Issue:

I have tested to post few requests through the libcurl module and same
number of requests through a similar module developed using Rogue Wave
libraries.

I get a faster response through the Rogue Wave code i.e within 1.5 - 2.5
seconds whereas the module developed in libcurl gives response in 4.5 - 5
secs on an average.

What are the situations where the response time can get hampered in libcurl?
Is there any specific option to get response faster :-).

Thanks in advance.

San.