Re: known memory leak in simple easy calls in version 17?

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 22:31:02 -0700

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 10:03:43PM -0600, Max L. Eidswick wrote:
> I have a definite memory leak happening with a simple test (source below). I question whether this is a curl issue or not as I was
> confident up until now that the version 17 code for these simple easy calls is stable. This is too simple a problem to exist in
> that mature code base (I think).

You're probably right, for the simple test case you present, but there have
been by my count five memory leaks fixed in curl since 7.17.1.

> Please take a quick look at the test win32 proc to see if there is anything obvious. If I comment out the call to easy perform
> there is no memory increase in the test process. If the call to easy perform is there is seems to burn through about 512-1024 bytes
> per call.
>
> If I remove the write buffering, there is no change.
>
> If I comment out the call to easy perform there is not memory gain by the test process.
>
> Are there any known memory leak issues like this in the version 17 code?
>
> This test is performing a complete global init and cleanup every loop, so perhaps that is the problem, although this test was
> supposed to prove that our memory leak in this test app was not in the curl code.

Are you using OpenSSL? Which version? A Win32 leak was just fixed there
earlier today. Please try using the latest nightly build and see if
you can still reproduce the leak. How are you determing that there is
a leak, anyway?

>>> Dan