Re: Binary compatibility and 64-bit curl_off_t

From: Phil Blundell <pb_at_reciva.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 18:06:31 +0100

On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 18:43 +0200, Yang Tse wrote:
> I can't remember exactly which changes in the public interface are
> awaiting an ABI break to actually get done. Since we try to never
> break ABI, those changes never take place. Perhaps it had to do
> something with size_t.

I guess it's also worth remembering that, on platforms with the GNU
tools, and maybe on Solaris too, you can use the symbol versioning
mechanism to make minor ABI adjustments while still preserving backwards
compatibility. Obviously that doesn't help people on other platforms,
but I guess there comes a point where the improvements for one set of
users start to outweigh the minor inconvenience of a soname bump for the
others.

p.