Re: Solaris 10 autobuild and aclocal memory exhausted

From: Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 12:44:20 +0200

And 3 days later the state of this is...

The introduction of reentrant.m4 is giving a problem on the Solaris
autobuild. Possible causes, not listed in any specific order, are:

1) The underquoted definition of AM_PATH_GTK in line #7 of
/opt/csw/share/aclocal/gtk.m4, It could be this but currently it
doesn't seem very likely, other autobuilds survive other underquoted
definitions.

2) A problematic /opt/csw/bin/gm4 GNU m4 version 1.4.5 which, as logs
show, is actually failing with a 'memory exhausted' error. No other
autobuild is using 1.4.5 But other autobuilds, IRIX ones, are even
using plain 1.4 version and don't fail with this.

3) A system wide or per process memory configuration limit is killing us.

4) A somehow corrupted autom4te.cache Not very likely but we could try
to let buildconf remove it, just to protect ourselves.

5) Strange inherited ACLOCAL_FLAGS. Buildconf could be modified to show this.

Since the command line generated by aclocal when calling m4 is the
same as the one as I get here locally, I think at this point that the
most probable causes of the problem are numbers 2 and 3 listed above.
But who knows.

If nothing of the above gives further info, maybe letting buildconf
append the contents of reentrant.m4 to acinclude.m4 and removing the
m4 subdirectory inclusion specification from the aclocal command and
from Makefile.am could serve our purposes equally.

Until this issue is sorted out, it would really help to have the
Solaris autobuild running more frequently than once a day. ;-)

--
-=[Yang]=-