SCP -r equivalent in curl?

From: Scott Barrett <scott_barrett_at_partech.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 17:20:00 -0400

I've noticed that scp supports recursive transfer of directories with a -r flag.
  Having (somewhat painfully) implemented a similar capability atop libcurl
using sftp, I became curious whether use of an scp URL for a directory (with a
trailing slash) might automagically behave recursively. Alas, no.

Further investigation leads me to believe that libssh2 doesn't support the
recursive transfer of directories. Am I correct? It would seem pretty handy,
particularly if a single scp operation can transfer a directory tree more
efficiently than multiple sftp operations.

Any thoughts?

Sincerely,
Scott Barrett