Re: probs. building libcurl w/gssapi on win32

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 12:59:35 -0700

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 03:00:06PM -0400, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
> Please note - no offense intended here. I really am trying to help. But
> please be aware: I spent time creating and submitting a patch for this.
> I then spent more time completely redoing the patch the way Yang
> requested. Now you're saying that's wrong.

I'm not the gatekeeper here, but my feeling was that there must be a better
way. But code speaks louder than words!

> I'm happy to try to help here, but I don't have oodles of time to spend
> on this. Can you guys please come to an agreement soon as to how you
> want this to be patched and then let me know? Or if you can't, then can
> one of you please take over creating this patch?

We appreciate the time you're spending on trying to get this going, but
right now you're the only one who's in a position to test these changes.
Those of us here in the peanut gallery don't have enough data yet to make
an intelligent observation on the best way forward. Producing a patch that
works for you is the best way for everyone to review the proposed change.

> The number of curl users who build from scratch is not that big, as a
> percentage of the total number of curl users. Ditto for the number of
> curl users on Windows. And ditto for the number of curl users who use it
> with MIT GSS. But the intersection of those 3 sets is extremely small -
> possibly even just 1 single person: me! IMO, that's how this code has
> managed to be broken for so long (I see these compile errors in v7.15.4 -
> and I'm even wondering if this code has always had compile errors on
> Windows). So given that there's such a small number of people impacted by
> this, it seems to me that it's not something that should warrant major
> amounts of debate - or major changes to the source code - to fix. So IMO,
> just try to find this simplest thing that fixes this and be done with it.
> Again, just my $0.02, though.

You're certainly free to get this going for yourself whichever way is
most simple, but if that way impedes the long-term maintainability of the
curl sources then it's not necessarily the best approach to apply to
the official curl source tree. Since in this case it looks like curl has
to go through gyrations (one way or another) to work around a broken
third-party library, and there are very few users it affects, it may be
best to wait and fix that library instead.

Having said that, I checked in two small parts of your patch that are
clearly problems in curl.

>>> Dan