Bugs in curl configure with --enable-ares option

From: Charlie Fenton <charlief_at_ssl.berkeley.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 16:44:50 -0700

We use the cURL library with c-ares in the BOINC project
<http://boinc.berkeley.edu>. It has been a great help to our
project; thank you!

I believe I've found three problems with the configure script when
building cURL-7.18.0 with c-ares-1.5.1 on Mac OS 10.5. (I haven't
tried cURL 7.18.1, but there is no mention of this in the Changes
listing.)

I see 3 problems:
[1] According to config.log, the cURL configure script expects the
header files to be in "[path]/c-ares-1.5.1/include/" but there is no
such directory; the header files are all in "[path]/c-ares-1.5.1/".

The configure log reports:
conftest.c:2:18: error: ares.h: No such file or directory

If I work around problem [1] by specifically adding "-I
[path]/c-ares-1.5.1" to the search paths in the CFLAGS and CPPFLAGS
environment variables, I get thw following problem:

[2] According to config.log, the cURL configure script expects the
built c-ares library to be at "[path]/c-ares-1.5.1/lib/libcares.a"
but there is no "c-ares-1.5.1/lib" directory. The required library
is at "[path]/c-ares-1.5.1/.libs//libcares.a".

The configure log reports:
ld: library not found for -lcares

I can work around problem [2] (by adding "-L
[path]/c-ares-1.5.1/.libs" to the LDFLAGS environment variable. This
succeeds, but only if the absolute path contains no space characters:

[3] The cURL configure script does not quote the paths and so will
fail if the absolute path to the c-ares-1.5.1 directory contains
spaces. I'm not sure if it will also fail if the path to the
cURL-7.18.0 directory contains spaces.

Am I missing something here or are these bugs real? We are using
autoconf 2.61 and automake 1.10.

Cheers,
--Charlie

--
Charlie Fenton                        charlief_at_ssl.berkeley.edu
BOINC / SETI_at_home Macintosh & Windows Programmer