Re: libcurl eas built whitout LIBSSH2

From: Stephen Collyer <scollyer_at_netspinner.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 19:27:19 +0100

Stephen Collyer wrote:
> mikep_at_proatria.com wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 04:15:19PM +0100, Stephen Collyer wrote:
>>> The comments made by Brian suggest that you may
>>> not have supplied the import libraries required for
>>> the .dll's in the package you created - there are
>>> .lib files present, but I'm suspecting that they
>>> are, in fact, static libs and not import libraries
>>> (but am too Windows-clueless to be able to tell,
>>> though the .libs look very big for import libraries
>>> to my eyes).
>>>
>>> Can you remember what you did here ?
>> I'm not a Windows expert either, it may be one of the files attached.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Mike
>
> OK, it seems to be libcurl_imp.lib BUT I had to rename
> it to libcurl.lib, VSC++ 2005 was then happy and linked against
> the corresponding .dll. This makes sense as the LINK
> command was looking for libcurl.lib, not libcurl_imp.lib.

OK, I just took a look at this libcurl_imp.lib file
and now I'm totally baffled - it's a text file, with
contents like so:

> libcurl.dll:
> 00000000 I .idata$4
> 00000000 I .idata$5
> 00000000 I .idata$6
> 00000000 T .text
> U __IMPORT_DESCRIPTOR_libcurl
> 00000000 I __imp__curl_easy_cleanup
> 00000000 T _curl_easy_cleanup

Since I thought that it was pretty clear that an import
library was a binary file, I now have absolutely no idea
how renaming this file to libcurl.lib could possibly
have allowed the previously failing link to complete.

My head's starting to spin ...

--
Regards
Steve Collyer