unexpected intermittent "couldn't connect to host" error

From: Vijay Mani <vijay_at_zecter.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 23:49:08 -0700

Hi,
    I'm using the libcurl 7.18 (no ssl) for windows. We essentially
have a java server (running embedded jetty webserver) running on the
localhost. For each webrequest that we make we create a new handle
using curl_easy_init() and clean it up with curl_easy_cleanup. This
works , except sometimes when we're making requests in rapid
succession (sometimes in a matter of milli-seconds) we get a
"couldn't connect to host" error, and this lasts for requests made for
about 10 seconds.
We've verified that the webserver is indeed alive and running, and not
rejecting connections.

Any ideas?
Thanks.