Re: HTTP connection to unix socket

From: Michal Marek <mmarek_at_suse.cz>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 11:53:18 +0200

Nikolai Kondrashov wrote:
> Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> > A new option seems like the least kludgey way to me.
> I think the option is not a bad way to do it and seems a bit faster to
> implement. Although I'm afraid it will add more un-orthogonality to the
> interface and implementation and will look more like a hack. But it is still
> better than messing with HTTP URLs.

You are right. I initially though that embedding the socket path into
the URL would be "cool", that's why I suggested defining an URL scheme
for this on #curl. But now I tend to agree that an extra option would be
easier to use (compared to the the URL-encoding needed otherwise). Bart,
what's you opinion on this?

And regarding un-orthogonality: when connecting via an http proxy, the
proxy address is also set separately, so this new option wouldn't be
that unusual IMHO.

Michal